Friday, June 05, 2009

I am (almost) dying to read Before I Forget by _______ (insert name in blank, cos I totally forgot the first name) Hill.
It was in Popular's quaterly magazine that I read one simple line to describe the book. If you could only keep one memory, what would it be?
That's a tough one to me. It suddenly made me feel like I take for granted all the memories, all the itty bitty details that I take to heart so much. Which is precisely why I'm so afraid of contracting Alzheimer's Diesease. I don't ever want to forget the people I love, not knowing why I love them, not knowing that they love me, unconditionally.
And one of the many, many memories that I wish to never ever forget was slightly past midnight, the day i turned 20.
I never thought it'd come from you, I never even imagined you'd have that crazy-romantic (crazmantic, I'd call it) streak in you. And sometimes, I have to admit, I take for granted that I know you almost too well, after all these years. But this time you got me fooled. In the best way yet.
Little did I know, that inside the box you gave me the day before, was just Kinder Bueno and raffia string. I know you told me to open it up past midnight and I did. But that was after I found out that you rushed all the way from your chalet down in Pasir Ris, just to bluetooth me a video you made, complete with our photos and the sweetest wish, right underneath my balcony. (and i cannot believe i fell for the "my friend's got this device that can bluetooth from far. but it's really lagging. you need to be in an open space. try your balcony" trick.) and to think that i nearly couldn't be bothered to even try. haha.
It was only when I actually spotted you standing right beneath, and blinking several times, thinking I was delusional, (and also because I wasn't wearing my specs) and when I saw you smile from below I just couldn't stop the oh my gods' going on repeat mode from my mouth.
By the time I actually viewed the video, obviously I was crying like a wimp. Threw down a plastic bag like you told me to, and found out about the raffia and threw it down, only to find you tying it to the bag, and having me pull it up all the way bag, to see the simplest (but most effort put in delivering) birthday card. And that was it, you left.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm still not over the fact that it happened. And that you actually bothered to go to that length, for me. You just couldn't imagine the rush of excitement, nervousness, surprise, pure joy that was going on in me. I was sweating buckets, believe me.
Only God knows the number of times we've nearly walked out on each other, but it always ends up with me and you, and you and me.
and in less than 3weeks, it will be 60 months. I cannot believe it has been that long, yet at the same time, it feels like there's so much more.
I know that to imagine spending my whole entire life with you sounds almost immature and fantasy-ish, cos we're only this young, and there's so much more ahead, but I do hope we'll work our way around things that'll come our way. I simply cannot imagine getting to a greater start with anyone else than the way things started out for me and you.
So I suppose the memory that I'd wanna keep for life is to remember the feeling of being loved, to know that I am loved, by all the wonderful people around me.
Especially you;
Especially you.
and also thank you to everyone who remembered (or at least took the time to read the notification by facebook). XOXOLabels: unexpected 20th
X O X O; 1:27 am